For In-N-Out fans, here is a copycat Double-Double Animal-Style Cheeseburger recipe that you can make at home with a few simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. With so many simple ingredients, the real star of the show is the sweet and tangy animal-style sauce, which is composed of mayo, whole-grain mustard, ketchup, and a few other basic add-ins.
- For the Animal-Style Sauce:
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup diced pickles
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
- For the Onions:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 white or yellow onion (sliced)
- For the Cheeseburger:
1 white bread bun
2 slices American cheese
2 beef patties
- For the animal-style sauce, add the mayo, mustard, ketchup, red wine vinegar, sugar, and pickles to a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, whisk until thoroughly combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a pan on medium heat, add two beef patties. Season with salt and pepper while they cook for about five minutes on each side.
- Once the patties are cooked, layer a slice of American cheese on top of each one. Cover the pan with a lid to trap in the heat and melt the cheese.
- In a separate pan over medium heat, add some olive oil and your sliced onions.
- Season the onions with salt, and stir frequently until the onions have caramelized slightly, about 10 minutes.
- To build the sandwich, layer the sliced pickles, tomato, and lettuce on the bottom bun.
- Stack a cheese-covered patty on top, and add a spoonful of animal-style sauce. Repeat with an additional patty and spoonful of sauce.
- Top the finished burger with caramelized onions and a final bun. Enjoy!