From the super tender, slightly sweet and (seasoned!) salty potato that’s slathered in a rich and CREAMY ghee and infused with this underlying flavor of herb-y fresh thyme, to the JUICY morsels of steak with that GARLIC-y HUG, this steak and potatoes in foil is a summer dinner for the BOOKS.
There are a few pro-tips that you must learn when trying to cook steak in foil on the grill.
- Make sure you cut you steak 2 inches thick, and your potatoes ½ inch. If you don’t follow these guidelines, you won’t have even cooking.
- If you like a less-done steak (like me!) pre-cook the potatoes in the microwave (or boil them) for just a FEW minutes until you can just pierce them with a fork.
- Use DOUBLE layers of tinfoil and double fold the ends to ensure all the juicy goodness stays in!
- Want a char on your beef? Open the packets up when they’re done (CAREFULLY) and throw the beef right on direct heat for a minute or so!
- 2 Medium Sweet potatoes (or potatoes)
- 4 tsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp Season Salt
- 20 Sprigs Fresh thyme
- 1 Lb Top sirloin steak,* Trimmed and sliced into 2 inch cubes
- 2 tsp Garlic Salt
- Fresh chives, minced (for garnish)
Pre-heat your grill for medium high heat. Cut 8, 12-inch pieces of tinfoil and make 4 layers of 2, making sure the shiny side is facing up.
Slice the sweet potato into 1/2 inch thick slices, then quarter each slice.
For medium steak:
Place the potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl and add a few Tbsp of water. Cover and microwave until the potatoes JUST begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Dry off well with a paper towel. (If you like your steak more well done, skip this step.)
Toss the potatoes with the melted butter until evenly coated. Then, toss with the season salt until well coated.
Divide the potatoes in an even layer between the prepared tinfoil packets. Place 5 sprigs of Thyme on top.
In a large bowl, toss the steak with the garlic salt. Divide the cubes on top of the sweet potatoes in a single layer.
Fold the middles of the foil packets on top of each other (so the shiny sides are being folded in and not exposed.) Then double fold the ends in (one small fold, and then another small fold to make a packet.) Make sure to seal them very tight!
Place on indirect heat on the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes for medium rare steak, or 10-15 for more done steak. I recommend checking after 8 minutes to see where your steak is at!
Once cooked, CAREFULLY open the packets (they’re hot!) and sprinkles fresh chives over. I also love to serve this dish with a garlic, chive cream sauce.