Home

An air and sea search for an 84-year-old passenger lost overboard from a cruise ship east of Sydney was called off Tuesday after authorities calculated that he could not have survived. A security camera showed the man had dropped 25 meters into the ocean from the Sun Princess on Monday evening about 280 kilometers east of Sydney, search manager Australian Maritime Safety Authority, or AMSA, said in a statement. AMSA said a search by the cruise ship and a Dornier search and rescue aircraft ended without finding any trace of the passenger.

The Sun Princess had been due to reach Sydney Tuesday morning to end a 13-day cruise to New Zealand. But due to the search, the ship would now arrive around 24 hours later on Wednesday morning, operator Princess Cruises said in a statement. AMSA had medical advice that the passenger was unlikely to have survived the fall and could not have survived for long in the ocean, because of heavy swells at 2 to 3 meters and winds blowing at 46 kph. The Sun Princess offers cruises along the Australian coast and South Pacific.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s