Home

A grieving Kansas family is struggling with the loss of their “precious daughter” who succumbed to an uncommon organism that lives in fresh water. But the parents of 9-year-old Hally Yust, who loved to swim and water ski, say her death should not frighten families from spending time in the water. “We want you to know this tragic event is very, very rare and this is not something to be fearful about,” the Yusts, of Spring Hill, said in a Friday statement, WDAF-TV reported.

The little girl died after being hospitalized with meningitis-like symptoms. Her death was caused by Naegleria fowleri, a rare, brain-eating amoeba that is found in fresh water and swimming pools that aren’t properly chlorinated. The virus enters the body through the nose and travels up to the brain. Its symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, neck stiffness and confusion. It is almost always fatal. One way to guard against the virus is to wear nose plugs while swimming or boating.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s